Pages

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, August 26, 2011

A hurricane is a'coming, a hurricane is a'coming!!

So in case if you haven't heard.  There was an earthquake here on the east coast a few days ago.  The epicenter was in VA and we felt some rumbling all the way up here in Upstate NY!  Crazy, right?

Ok, so I didn't actually feel it, but I saw my computer monitor shaking and was wondering what was causing it.  I shrugged it off only to have someone seconds later ask me if I felt "that".  Of course it was then giant news for everyone in the office and the rest of the world for about a day and a half.


That is until Hurricane Irene came into the picture.  Hurricanes don't come around here, not this far north, not this far into the coast.  As some of you already know, I hate thunderstorms.  I kind of shrugged it off because well, the weathermen haven't been on the money lately and really, how bad could it be?  HURRICANES DON'T COME HERE!!!

But it's bad.

It's so bad that all I heard on the news this morning was that we need fill our gas tanks, get food, get batteries, make ice, have water...etc. etc.  Oh and the DEC advised ALL backpackers to stay out of the backcountry Sunday and Monday.  We were supposed to hike again on Sunday, we've since moved it to tomorrow.  I won't re-mark this map (I already closed MS Paint...that extra click to reopen it is hard work) but you can see it's effects are right over us, some projected paths show it going DIRECTLY OVER my county!  Eeep!


I kind of wonder, are people in Florida or Louisiana laughing at us?  Laughing at how ridiculous we're behaving over a currently Category 1 storm?  I know we laugh at all of you southerners acting like an inch of snow is the end of the world and 70 degrees is "cold".

But I digress...

The storm is coming, I'm not prepared.  I'm going to go buy a flashlight tonight because I lose power at the slightest gust of wind.  I'm also going to make sure my laptop is fully charged so I can still watch DVDs and play Minecraft.  I might fill my gas to half a tank.  Priorities people.

In other news, my body is super achey today.  I just can't get comfortable in my desk chair.  Does that ever happen to anyone else out there?  Any suggestions on how to fix it??  I'm thinking that going home might be the best option...

I know some of you are probably looking for an update about our visitor.  Well, he pretty much comes and goes whenever he wants to.  When my mom and Nancy came to get him Friday morning he was MIA.  They checked back THREE times that day, BOTH my mom and Nancy check by every time they're in the area and the little stinker is never around.  I actually went from Saturday night to Tuesday night without having seen him, I thought for sure he had just moved on in life, but nope.  He was hungry Tuesday night so he came back.  He ate, stuck around for about an hour and then took off again.  I haven't seen him since.  Next time he comes around he's going in the carrier no matter what and I'm hoping that will be sometime today or tomorrow.  I don't want him out in these storms, but I worry he's hiding because it's been so rainy here the past couple of days and won't come out.  I have since decided if he does come back and gets a clean bill of health, he will be taking up residence in my apartment and Preston will have a new friend.

Big Brother really excited me last night.  ****SPOILER ALERT**** Dani got evicted, which although I wasn't a fan of hers, I was a fan of anyone BUT the two main couple winning so I was bummed, but saw it coming.  What I DID'T see coming (because I guess I don't pay attention well enough) was a SPEED episode and a second eviction!  The eviction of JEFF!  Dani was right, everyone there putting their feelings in front of playing the game was writing a check for Jeff and Jordan.  I'm glad she said that and I'm GLAD it stuck with some people.  Those of us just watching on CBS last saw Jordan and Rachel sobbing, because essentially the game is over for them.  Too bad, so sad.

Oh and did you SEE Bachelor Pad???  Did you see how they went all Sopranos on us and just shut it all down when it was announced the final rose??  I'm suspecting an awesome fist fight and war of words next Monday - THEY DIDN'T EVEN SHOW PREVIEWS!

Hiking tomorrow, home bound Sunday.  Sounds like a good weekend on the books!  Happy Friday everyone!!!

What do you do to get ready for hazardous weather??

16 comments:

Impulsive Addict said...

Girl, you better get your supplies and take cover! I'll say a little prayer that everything will be ok.

Ok, I'm guilty of loving Jeff and Jordan. I was super sad to see him leave. If a freakin' floater wins I will be PISSED. Porsche, Shelly, and Adam don't do much of anything.

BP will be explosive on Monday. I cheated and read about what happens. I hope it's good. I can't stand Vienna or her goofy talking man! Oh well. It's all good drama!!!

Happy Friday Miss Amber!

Anonymous said...

Ok so I'm a little jealous. Everyone felt the earthquake down here (SC) but me! And, I was WISHING the hurricane would hit us!! We need the rain!

Good luck! It sounds like it'll weaken the closer it gets to NY!

Lauren said...

Be safe! Just think this could be a good excuse to stay inside and relax all weekend!

Vivian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vivian said...

Hope you are safe and prepared. Keep us posted!!

Brandy@YDK said...

crazy! stay safe!!!!

Jill said...

Eeeeep!! My tornado warning was scary enough, I don't want to have to deal with Irene!! I don't think we're to get too much of it, though, so my fingers are crossed. Stay safe!!!

I haven't been a huge fan of anyone on BB this year since Dominic left, but I guess if I was backing anyone, it was Daniele, so I hated to see her go last night. I was pleased to see they decimated Jeff in the same night, though! I like Jeff. I really do. But Dani was definitely right - the way things were going, the floaters were basically prepared to hand Jeff & Jordan the cash! Like, c'mon people!! I have no idea who I want to win, because I dislike Porshe and Adam, not a fan of Shelley or Kalia, and would hate to see Rachel or Jordan win. Wait. Why am I watching this show again?! ;)

Sandra said...

I'm currently in Florida, and no, I'm not laughing at anybody worried about cat.1 storm. It's been windy and cloudy for three days. So no, not laughing at anybody, too busy feeling sorry for me...HOWEVER...recently hooked on Big Brother, and essentially, now that Jeff is out, I have no interest in the show. Dani and he really made the game more fun....I love it that I'm into Big Brother now, now I can join into all the Big Brother convos! Two weeks ago, I couldn't have said more than, "Yeah, Dani who?"

stephanie said...

it might be crazy but I love a good storm! the thrill of it I guess :) be safe!

Lori said...

I don't think anyone is laughing at us. A cat 1 or even tropical storm is a bad, bad thing for our part of the country.

We are all ready to go and have battened down the hatches. Stay safe!

Stacie said...

Snacks are a must when you might be stuck inside due to bad weather. Everybody runs for batteries and clean drinking water, I'm looking for chocolate!

SilverPixieFly said...

I'm near where the earthquake was centered and tomorrow I get the hurricane. . . yay?

Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

So jealous of your storm threats... and while I don't wish harm or damage on anyone-- I love the excitement... the build up... the unknown. Its my thang!! hope its an exciting weekend for you and that all goes okay. Ready for Big Brother Sunday night... trying to keep myself from looking at the spoilers but I just can't help myself.

Laura Darling said...

I'm in Philadelphia and we're about to get hit in a few hours! It's getting SO windy and really rainy! Hopefully it doesn't get that much worse! The mayor of Philly came on the news and said we should expect power outages for ten days to TWO WEEKS! I hope we don't lose it for that long! Stay safe!

Anonymous said...


Hi there.)

Oh, you ve got such a cute blog!! I love it!
Nice post.))

I need your help (maybe again) ...
Do you anything about PayPal? If yes, can you say me about this system?
thanx.

Unknown said...

I didn't dislike Danny. I just liked Jeff and Jordan more. I hope Jordan comes back and takes out Shelly. I can't believe she flipped. Yes, it was a great move on her part, but I lost a lot of respect for her. I can't wait till Rachel is out of the house. That girl needs to go! If a floater takes her to the finals, she will win, because the floaters haven't done anything. Can't wait to see who is nominated tonight. We know how the HOH is. We watch BB After Dark.